Hosts Andy Cleff and Jenny Tarwater, Enterprise Agile Coach at Agile Velocity, chat with Esther Derby about the myth of the annual performance review. They uncover how the ritual reinforces existing power structures and diminishes safety for teams.
They then explore ways to help people to be more successful in their roles. Things like regular feedback as a means to influence future behavior, and recognizing that performance is always a function of a person plus their environment.
Get in touch with Esther Derby
Esther Derby’s Books
- Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management (2005) – Co-Author Johanna Rothman
- Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great (2006) – Co-Author Diana Larsen
- 7 Rules for Positive, Productive Change: Micro Shifts, Macro Results (2019)
- If you enjoyed this episode, please give us a review, a rating, or leave comments on iTunes, Stitcher, or your podcasting platform of choice. It really helps others find us.
- If you’d like to join the discussion and share your stories, please join our real-time interaction and conversations with other practitioners at our Discord Server!
- We at the Agile Uprising are committed to being totally free. However, if you’d like to contribute and help us defray hosting and production costs we do have a Patreon. Who knows, you might even get some surprises in the mail!